MoA Technology Ltd. Job Description
Position: Laboratory Technician – Biology
Permanent -Full-time – 37.5 h/ week.
The Bellhouse Building, Oxford Science Park, Oxford, OX4 4GA
MoA-Technology Limited is an innovative and rapidly growing R&D crop protection company. MoA-Technology’s mission is to find a new generation of safe and effective herbicides to make agriculture more efficient and sustainable. To achieve this goal, MoA-Technology has developed 3 unique and complementary platforms: GALAXYTM, TARGETTM and SELECTTM. SELECTTM employs a hypothesis-driven approach to identify herbicidal compounds with new desirable modes of action. For more information, please visit https://www.moa-technology.com/
Role and responsibilities:
Building on the success of SELECTTM, we are expanding our capabilities and looking for a skilled and enthusiastic individual to carry out the following tasks:
• Manage and maintain media, buffers, and stocks.
• Generate, genotype, maintain and propagate plant lines.
• Optimise, troubleshoot, and write protocols.
• Design and clone plasmids.
• Screen libraries of compounds.
• Clearly communicate results, successes, and issues.
• Maintain accurate records (e.g., electronic laboratory notebooks, QMS).
• Contribute to reports, SOPs, risk assessments, lab meetings, etc.
The role is not restricted to the above and may vary to support the needs of SELECTTM.
Education and experience:
The post-holder will have:
• BSc (1st or 2.1 class) or MSc in a biological or life science discipline.
• High degree of manual dexterity.
• Excellent numerical skills.
• Experience working in a biology laboratory, in industry or academia (desirable).
• Experience with molecular or cell biology techniques (desirable).
• Experience working with plants (beneficial but not essential).
The ideal candidate will:
• Be skilled in practical laboratory techniques.
• Be a keen learner. The company will provide the training needed to succeed in the role and will support personal development activities.
• Be able to follow instructions and established processes.
• Have strong planning and organisational skills. After a period of training, the post-holder will be able to work independently under limited supervision.
• Be enthused by the science and MoA-Technology’s vision.
• Be a good colleague, willing to share time, knowledge, and resources.
• Be resilient. SELECTTM tackles very exciting, high risk/high gain projects which may have their challenges.
• Be able to communicate in verbal and written English at a level required to perform the job as outlined.
• Be proficient in MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel, and able to learn how to use other specialised software and electronic tools.
• Always maintain good laboratory practices.
• Have a good work ethic, display a high level of professionalism and be reliable.
• Adhere to company’s policies and standard business etiquette.
MoA-Technology is strongly committed to the safety of their employees and in the current COVID-19 climate, have taken measures that enable the post-holder to work from the site of operation as and when required by the role.
The role is primarily based at our Oxford site of operations, and means to commute to the Oxford site is a job requirement.
Must be legally able to live and work in the UK.
What we offer:
• EMI share options.
• 25 days Annual Leave + bank holidays.
• 5% contribution pension scheme.
• Life insurance.
• Group income protection scheme.
• Group life scheme for employees and their immediate family (incl. bereavement counselling, mental health support, nutrition consultant, etc).
• Employee assistance program.
• Flexible working hours between 8am and 6pm.
• Opportunity to get training and hands-on experience across a variety of experimental methods and equipment.
• Opportunity to work in an inspiring team and to develop one’s career as the company grows.